Friday, August 18, 2017

Do you think I can finish the blog tonight?

Hello,  I really want to finish the blog tonight since I need to get started on the book I will be printing of my pictures and Richard's texts.    Wasn't that bathroom beautiful in the last blog?  Today I will be adding all the fun pictures of the animals we saw.  The final count for the animals by the end of the trip was several elk, one we killed; 7 bear, 1 caribou, numerous buffalo, 1 loon, 2 eagles, numerous hawks/falcons (sometimes I couldn't tell the difference), about a billion ravens, and 2 moose.

Ahhh, here we are ready to go.  It started raining a lot when we were driving.  There was a spot called Stone Mountain where you could always find Stone Sheep.  Except this time.  I can't remember if it was before the buffalo, or the day of the buffalo.  When I make the book I will make sure I have those facts correct.

Yes, it was pretty wet.

This is a river flowing into Muncho Lake.  It was a  pretty color

Muncho Lake

I think we had parked here for lunch.  At this point I believe I was out of shorts and sleeveless tops finally.  I had worn my sandals practically every day.
Here was one lone male in the rain.  Bug guy.


I like taking pictures of bridges from this angle for some reason.
Miles and miles later and into the sunshine we finally see more bison.


I tried to get pictures of the babies, but that didn't work out.  Something about the driver didn't want to stop for as long as I wanted to stop.  Actually we did try, but they wouldn't pose as well as the adults.  Thanks, Richard.  He did stop for something else you'll see ahead.
We stopped at this rest stop that has been around for years.  I don't know why I didn't take pictures of more things there, but here is an old phone sign, and an old bus sign when buses came through.  The bus sign has fallen off and laying sideways.

This is what Richard stopped for.

Here it is up close---cute!

Mamma and two babies.  The second is hiding behind Mama, you can see its ears.
This sign welcomes you. to the Yukon

This is part of the hundreds, if not thousands, of sign at Watson Lake.  


We stopped at a campground just outside of Watson Lake that we've stopped at several times before.  It is had good wifi in the past.  Now they say the rates for wifi are so high in the Yukon that they had to cut it down to only be able to use it by the office.  If they caught you using your phone or doing Netflix or the like they will charge.  

There was an awesome gift store nearby with this awesome carved door.

Check this out-This was outside of a parked Class A motor home.  This had several floors.  An outside cat house.  The very top left had a window the cats could use to go in and out.  Cool!


Richard didn't like his picture taken.

 It was a beautiful day for a drive.
And then there were these..........going about 45 miles an hour with no spaced in between
A large convoy of various jeeps.

I do believe this says, "Alaska or rust."  not bust





This one was pulling a little trailer painted to match the jeep.
And then, the next scary thing was passing a convoy of about 25 trailers and motorhomes all facing the same way we were going.  Richard is sure there will not be campsites where we were going.
It was at this point of the trip that I realized Richard is a realist/pessimist while I am a positive/dreamer.


Wait, what?  I thought we were in the Yukon!  Well, you drive in and out of the Yukon and British Columbia about 8 times on this road.
Next town ahead, Teslin.

This is one of my favorite for driving through.



 This campsite was a little tricker to park.  The back end was jacked up way high.  To the right is a picture of how much of the river we could see.  I just really liked this picnic table.  It was large enough for about 6-8 people, and had a great surface that wouldn't rot.


The beautiful birch trees.  Except we were there during the season where sap drips off the trees.  See the shiny leaves?  Our truck had that sticky stuff on it, too.
There were a few nets below our campsite.  Too bad no one was working them and we could watch bird banding.
There was a native museum there we visited.  Look at this beautiful carved box.  It is a mother otter and baby.

They had nice displays of masks.  The one who made the above mask was there demonstrating how to carve masks.

Sorry about the reflection, but in the reflection you can also see the size of the museum.  It was small, but still interesting.  They had just had a yearly festival there a few days before and were cleaning up afterwards.


This I though interesting.  These are duck feet sewn together to make tobacco pouches.


These boats were displayed by the lake.



Leaving the next day.  Notice the trees are getting skinnier and skinnier.

No, I can't finish the blog tonight.  ha ha ha.  Next visit--Whitehorse.   


1 comment:

  1. Duck feet tobacco pouches, who would have thought? I bet the rain felt good after the sweltering temps you had down here.

    ReplyDelete